Facts About Lake Garda
Here are a few facts about Lake Garda for visitors new to the area:
- The lake is split between three provinces: Verona, Brescia and Trento
- It is just over 50km in length (north-south)
- It is just under 20km in width (east-west)
- It is located at 65m above sea level
- The circumference of the lake is around 160km
- The maximum depth of the lake is about 350m
- The area of the lake is approximately 370km² (143miles²), making it the largest lake in Italy
- The earliest settlement on the lake is believed to date back to 2000BC
- The northern part of the lake belonged to Austria until 1918 and the end of WW1
Looking for some of the best-rated hotels on Lake Garda?
Check accommodation rated 'superb' or 'exceptional' by visitors who used hotel reservation website Booking.com. No reservation fees.